Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Corey Goes to the Movies Part II

Tron Legacy © Walt Disney Pictures
By Corey Breen
Pencil & Photoshop

Much like Avatar December 2009, Tron was flat out AWESOME! I'm not a huge fan of the original, cause I didn't really grow up on that. I had seen it, forgot how and when, but it was no where near Star Wars to me growing up. Heck, I didn't really get into Star Wars until Return of the Jedi. So Tron was nothing special to me. I have co-workers and ex co-workers who are all about the original, but to me it was just something I missed out on.

But I was PSYCHED to see this movie! An it did not disappoint me! My wife actually really liked it to. There is just too many things to write about why I liked it, so I'll just make one tiny criticism of the movie, which is more just me nit-picking then anything else. I just wish there was a little bit more of a hero's journey for Sam. Most of the movie was just flat out super cool visuals and action scenes, but at the end, I wanted more of an epic final battle scene. I think that really would have brought it all to a nice crescendo. It had cool heroes and cool villains, and although I really LOVED the ending, I wish there was a huge spectacular fight scene instead of the aerial battle. Don't get me wrong, I thought the aerial battle was super awesome, but after it, I wish Sam would have had to fight "Rinzler" hand to hand again.

It's like they built up the villains so much that it was inevitable that they would clash at the end, and one would be the victor, but that just didn't really happen. It happened with Flynn and Clu, true, but not with Sam and Rinzler. It would have been so MUCH better if Rinzler's actions came to fruition in a fight with Sam before the showdown with Clu happened.

In action movies, when you introduce such bad a$ villains, then you would hope it all comes down to an all out brawl between them in the end. I just felt that was kinda a missed opportunity for the film. The best example of this is in the Princess Bride, where wait the whole fim for Inigo Montoya to face the six-fingered man, and when he finally does, it's an epic battle! I wanted that between Sam and Rinzler. Maybe in the sequel!

Despite that, I thought the movie ROCKED all kinds of AWESOME! I saw it in IMAX 3D, and I highly recommend it. Much like Avatar, I think this movie will have long reaching sci-fi standing, and I know I will enjoy watching it over and over and over again. Expect to see a lot more drawings of it in the future from me.

CjB

No comments:

Share

Share/Bookmark