Monday, June 25, 2012

Don't Worry, I'm a Doctor!


Doctor Who
Created by Sydney Newman, C.E. Webber & Donal Wilson
By Corey Breen
Pencil & Markers


Doctor Who
Created by Sydney Newman, C.E. Webber & Donal Wilson
By Corey Breen
Pencil


Another Dr. Who piece, this time just a cool pin-up.  Really happy with how this turned out, mostly because it was exactly how I pictured it in my mind.  I'm never big on a complete 100% likeness of characters adapted from TV or Movies that I draw.  I can do that, but it's just not as much fun.

I'm always more concerned about getting it close enough, but making it totally my own!  In other words, I like to make it recognizable as the real person I'm drawing, yet make it my interpretation of the character.  If you want to see my take on say, Johnny Deep from Sweeny Todd, then go check out my "take" on him in my gallery.  Much like Oliver Vatine did for Star Wars - Heir to the Empire.  You knew it was Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker, but it was drawn in his style, which was very stylized.

So I always hate criticisms of my work that say, 'oh, he looks nothing like, so-in-so'.  I say to that, 'well, this is my take on the character, it wasn't my intent to make it photo-realistic'.   I never strive for complete realism in my art unless it's a photo realistic piece I'm doing for a portraiture or something.

I like to draw from my head and what comes out is my vision, like it or not.

So let me know if you like it or not!

Corey



No comments:

Share

Share/Bookmark