Thursday, March 15, 2012

"52 by 1" - Week 10 - Superman #1


Superman © Corey Breen
By Corey Breen

Did my best with this one. Not a big fan of Superman. Never have been, never will be. But I do like the figure I came up with for this piece. Just couldn't really place him anywhere in any kind of background, so I just threw in the ole blood splatter effect. Such a cop-out, I know, but whatever. Some ideas you just can't force, and I didn't want to completely ruin the piece by making up some half-a$$ed background that didn't fit at all.

At least the blood splatter gives the piece the movement and energy I was going for with the piece. I wanted an angry, ready to pounce Superman drawing. I think I achieved that, so I'm happy. I just ALWAYS have trouble drawing his face. It never looks like the Superman face I see in my head, which is more in line with the cartoons then the comics. Yet, every time I make his face more like the cartoon it just doesn't jive with my style and looks out of place. So it is what it is here.

I was actually very happy with the way the Letraset markers were flowing. It wasn't like normal. Maybe I was drawing on the back of the paper, but the ink wouldn't really take, so it was more wet then usual, making it seems like a water color painting more then a marker piece. Can't really tell, because I did clean a lot of it up in Photoshop, but it was a happy accident. Need to do some water color pieces again, I LOVE watercolor!

But here is Superman all up in your grill!

Supergirl #1 up next!

On a ROLL!

CjB

No comments:

Share

Share/Bookmark