Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"52 by 1" - Batman #1 Cover




Batman © DC Entertainment
By Corey Breen
Pencil & Marker & Photoshop


And then there's BATMAN!  My all time favorite character.  I know it seems like I say that about every character I like and draw, but this time it's the truth.  Batman is the greatest, over all of my other favorites.

He is the reason I am in this comic book industry basically and that I have the career that I have.  He is the the reason I still strive to be a comic book artist period.  And to this day I still day dream of being Batman himself, lol; I mean, who doesn't honestly.  For some reason, I just clung to Batman immediately as a child and still do now.  It happened at a really young age for me but not especially until 1988 when the Tim Burton movie was coming out.  Thats when my family friend, Dell introduced me to comics and his comic collection.  It was all over for me after that.  Batman was the character I fell in love with (along with the X-Men).  Thanks Dell!

From that day on, Batman has been the character I gravitate towards the most in all media.  I guess it's mostly because it's such a personal story.  A person's very worst fear, as it was and is still mine, for your parents to be brutally killed.  With my dad being a cop growing up, I guess that really struck a cord with me, as I know if something terrible like that happened I would like to think I would have it in me to become Batman.  His story just hits a serious nerve in me that makes my emotions flare.

Through the years he has had his ups and downs as far as how good his comics have been.  I've been there for all of them (kind of, since I work at DC and get all the older stuff too).  I wont go through all the stories that are my favorite Batman stories, and who my my favorite Batman artists are, but I will say that the creative team on Batman right now?... the New 52 Batman team of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo?... they are AMAZING!  I don't have words for how good their Batman story is right now, but it's up there with the BEST of them, and IT'S NOT EVEN FINISHED YET!  [Well I got to read ahead since I work on them, and it's ending pretty amazingly too, let me tell you!]  I already did a Talon drawing that I will post when Batman #10 comes out (I have to wait until then because it's TOP SECRET).

I get chills drawing Batman every time I attempt to draw him, and I hold myself up to really high standards when I do.  It irks me to not do the character justice, and I actually find him one of the HARDEST characters in comics to draw.  He can't be too young, too skinny, too tall, have too big ears, too long of a cape... there is SO many aspects to this character to consider when you draw him.  He is the hardest to draw bar none!  I hope I did him justice on this piece!

Let me know what you all think!

Corey Breen

Sans Logo Below along with original pencils -




Batman © DC Entertainment
By Corey Breen
Pencil & Marker





Batman © DC Entertainment
By Corey Breen
Pencil



No comments:

Share

Share/Bookmark