Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Where Are the Wild Things?


Where the Wild Things Are © Maurice Sendak & The Sheldon Fogelman Agency
By Corey Breen
Pencil & Photoshop


Carol © Maurice Sendak & The Sheldon Fogelman Agency
By Corey Breen
Pencil

Max © Maurice Sendak & The Sheldon Fogelman Agency
By Corey Breen
Pencil

Even before the movie came out, I knew I wanted to do a drawing of the characters from the new movie, Where the Wild Things Are! Just the look they achieved from the original trailer with the amazing acoustic version of The Arcade Fire's hit song, "Wake Up". I thought the trailer was amazingly well done (as are most trailers theses days, which actually turn out better then the movie themselves), and stayed in my mind for a long, long time. I didn't get around to actually doing the drawing after the trailer, and waited until after I saw the entire movie.

I wont go into a full review of the movie, except to say I recommend it. I thought it was very well done, and the characters were all flawlessly translated to film from the original book. It was actually uncanny in this aspect, if you go back and look at the art. The use of actual costumes and puppetry, mixed with minimal CGI, really worked here. When done right, it proves once again that you can still do a movie with puppets, and still have it look incredible (someone please tell George Lucas that, please). As for the movie itself, I think it will be studied for a long long time, in not only film classes, but even more so in child psychology classes. The movie was very deep, and stays with you for a long time after the viewing. So much so, that you don't really know if you actually liked the movie after seeing it, til much later, when you've had a chance to think about. That's the thing with this movie, because it was not really a movie that was all that entertaining. It's a movie that makes you think about various aspects of a child's mindset, and what makes a child act or be the way they are. What aspects of a child's psyche can you most identify with, and why the various aspects of Max's mind were represented the way they were, are what you really start thinking about after this movie. I can see this film being studied for years, especially from someone like my wife, who is a 1st grade teacher, who absolutely LOVED the movie.

I definitely recommend the movie, and think in time it will be considered a classic. As long as you keep an open mind going in, and let the ideas overtake you, and let your emotions be involved in the film, you will really like the film. The casting was great (the voice-acting), the kid was perfectly cast, and I have to admit, was almost brought to tears in some parts. It made all audience members really feel like you are Max, or have been at some point in your life, and in that aspect, this movie really succeeds.

Look at that, I said I wasn't going to review the film, and I did. Ok, I'll shut up now...

Until next time,

CjB

PS- A LOT of stuff I gotta buy, and you should too (thank god XMAS is on the way!):

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan DVD
Star Wars: Clone Wars Season 1 DVD
GI Joe Cartoon 2 DVD
GI Joe Resolute DVD (BEST GI Joe EVER made!)
GI Joe: The Movie DVD (I know it kinda sucked, but it's GI Joe, & I must own it)
Haunt #1, #2 by Image Comics
The J Scott Campbell 2010 Fantasy Calendar

No comments:

Share

Share/Bookmark