Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"52 by 1" - Demon Knights #1



Demon Knights
© DC Entertainment
"52 by 1"
By Corey Breen
Pencil & Marker





Demon Knights
© DC Entertainment
"52 by 1"
By Corey Breen
Pencil & Marker





Demon Knights
© DC Entertainment
"52 by 1"
By Corey Breen
Pencil


WOW! I finally finished this one.

This piece got out of control quickly, lol.  I began by sketching a cool Etrigan the Demon, and Merlin besides him.  I really liked it, and decided of that as the workings of the Demon Knights "52 by 1" cover.  I put it aside for a while while I finished other pieces.  When I went back to this one, I wanted to at least add the Horsewoman character to the layout.  I did her separately, and while that was coming out great as well, I had this idea to do a cool montage of the rest of the characters to get the whole Demon Knights crew in the cover.  I worked up The Shining Knight headshot, and then Savage I did separately as well.  After all those pieces were sketched out the way I wanted them, I tried combining them all into what will be the final piece.  Thats when I realized that this piece was GINORMOUS!  LOL

It turned out to be a QUADRUPLE-gatefold cover in the end.  The original is actually drawn on three 11 x 11 inch pieces of laser copy paper, making it a whopping 33 x 11 inches BIG!  That translated into the piece you see above, a quadruple-gatefold cover.

I actually didn't take very long to draw, in all honesty.  The reason it took so long to finish was because I was dreading doing the entire thing in markers, because of the sheer size of it.  But once I finally just sat down and did it (one character at a time), it not only went by fast, I actually had a BLAST doing it.  I really love this piece, and it is now one of my bigger accomplishments not only in this "52 by 1" project, but in general too.  Much like my Green Lantern Corps piece and my Darksiders piece.

I hope you like it.  My next "52 by 1" cover will be Frankenstein Agent of Shade #1, and I will be working on it at NYCC!  Come by and see how I work and watch me create the piece step by step from sketch, drawing, pencils, and markers!

Hope to see you there!

Corey Breen


No comments:

Share

Share/Bookmark